Shelly's Dresser Project

Today I'm featuring a project done by my friend and Canadian realtor Shelly.  Shelly sold our home when we moved from Canada to the US.  When we move back to Canada we'll be using Shelly again.  She's an incredible realtor and has the patience of a saint.  I'm a nervous Nelly and she calmed me and reassured me along the selling process of our last home, which I didn't want to sell.  I had just finished with getting my home the way I wanted when we were told we were moving to the US.  Shelly understood how stressful the situation was and she worked her tail off to get us a great price in the fastest time possible.

About a month or so ago I got an email from Shelly asking me what to look for in used furniture.  It seems she was inspired by my blog and some of my projects!   That always makes me smile!!  I told her what I looked for in a piece of furniture then I got an email back from her a couple weeks later with a picture attached.  Shelly had found a great dresser that she was going to redo!   Shelly works full time, is active with her two Daughters and still finds time to workout.  I was wondering how on earth she would have time to finish this project and still find time for sleep!  I hear from people all the time about how they're too busy to do what I do, but Shelly has proven all of those people wrong!!

Here's the dresser in progress.  She did what I've done many times and forgot to take before pictures!  So hard to remember sometimes!!  Shelly said the dresser was a shiny white color, which she thinks was an oil based paint and the dresser had paint drips in places.  The hardware was painted in a sparkly silver finish.  

She stripped and sanded the top and underneath the paint she found a stained top.


She kept going until she was left with a perfectly smooth surface that was ready for her Dark Walnut Minwax stain.  I love the curves of this piece.  It's gorgeous!


Then she sanded down the parts with the drippy, dried-on paint.  She decided to stain the places in dark walnut where she knew she was going to distress so the dark wood would show through.  I think this is a great idea and I've heard of people doing this before, but I've never tried it!  

I really like the curved drawer fronts!


Finally, she painted the rest of the dresser in Pure White by Annie Sloan and finished it with a coat of clear wax.  The hardware she sprayed in Oil Rubbed Bronze (my favorite!).

Here it is all finished and pretty for a photo!


I think she did a phenomenal job!!!  It's a gorgeous piece of furniture that she couldn't have bought at a store.  Plus she has the pride of knowing she did this on her own.  I asked her how long it took her and she said it took about a month because she had to fit it in between work and Mom duties.  

One thing I wanted to point out is Shelly had never used the Annie Sloan paint before this.  She was happy with the paint and said, like I always do,  a little goes a long way.  Yes, it's a bit pricier than paint from Home Depot, but it's in a league all it's own!  

I'm so impressed with the job Shelly did and how she fit this in-between her many activities.  She says she's on the hunt for nightstands now!  I can't wait to see what she does with them!  

Thank you to Shelly for letting me feature this today.  She was only emailing me the pictures to show me her progress and I don't think she had any idea I was going to write about her :-)  Also, if you're in the Peel or Halton region in Ontario look Shelly up.  She's a wonderful realtor and you won't be disappointed!  Shelly Williamson Butt, Realtor

If you have a project like this, I'd love to feature you.  Send me an email and we can set something up.  This is what inspires me!  Seeing people transform the old and tired into something beautiful!

Have a great day!

Melody



Description: Shelly's Dresser Project
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Imam Baihaqi
On: 9:54 AM
TOP