Tables, Tables And More Tables!

Over the last few months I've been in furniture hoarding mode.  It seems when I really need to find a piece of furniture for a great price I can't seem to find a thing.  Lately I've been on a roll and whenever I see a nice piece of furniture I buy it and store it in the garage and shed.  Well, there does come a time when a girl realizes she is feeling a bit claustrophobic when she's trying to work.  What does a girl do when that happens??  Work like crazy to finish a few of those small pieces which are taking up much needed work space! OH and buy more furniture??  YEP!

I had a few days to plough through all these projects and then try and get them out of my work space.  We've been away a lot over the last few weeks and I haven't had a lot of time to work.

I got before pictures of a few of the tables, but not all.  Some day I will remember to always take pictures when I bring the pieces home!

Here's the first set of tables before (yippee I got pictures!).




With the end tables I wanted to paint them in a two tone finish with French Linen and Old White.  French Linen is one of my favorite Annie Sloan colors.  It looks so rich topped with dark wax.  This is with two coats of paint and no wax.


I finished the tables with a coat of clear wax allover.  I gave it a light distressing with some 120 grit sandpaper and then I put a coat of dark wax on the top.   

I only took a picture of one table.  I didn't see the point of moving both out to the tree :-)  I like how they turned out.  I really love the little cutouts on the front of each table. 




Next projects were a coffee table and another end table.  Unfortunately I didn't get a before picture of the end table.

The coffee table looked like someone had tried to refinish it at one point and got a bit carried away with the varnish.  There were dried varnish drips all over the table.  I started sanding then remembered I had to get a picture.  I also realized at this point I was going to need to strip the table top and not just sand it. 



This is after stripping the table 3 times and before I gave it a good sanding.  I had to take a break because it started raining on me.  See the rain drops on the table?  


I forgot to say I had originally decided to just paint the top until I looked closely and saw the nice two tone wood on top.  I always have the best intentions to make a project go quick and easy until I see some pretty wood and then the guilt sets in.  

I put 2 coats of Kona stain on top (yes that's my go-to color for stain!) then I put 3 coats of dark wax and a coat of clear wax on top of that.  It turned out very pretty and I'm glad I took the extra time to stain the top.




This little end table was varnished and stained in a cherry finish.  I decided to paint it in Off White, give it a little distressing and then I topped it off with a coat of clear wax.




Another coffee table, but no before pictures.  This one was in really rough shape.  Again I had intended just to paint it in Old Ochre all over, but I started sanding to make sure the top was smooth and then before I knew it was completely bare.  I stained it with a coat of Special Walnut, then a coat of Red Mahogany and finally a coat of Jacobean.  I couldn't get the color right until the final coat of Jacobean.   I finished it off with a coat of clear wax and 2 coats of dark wax. 

I gave the sides a light distressing then waxed them in clear wax.    

I love the scalloped edges on the apron of the table!




Last, but certainly not least, is this amazing Mersman tray top table.  Again, I didn't get before pictures. The top was a bit rough, but I knew I wanted to do something a bit different with this one so that was fine.  I sanded the top a bit and then gave it 3 coats of Annie Sloan Pure White.  Then I took 600 grit sandpaper and sanded the top in a circular motion to smooth it and give it a bit of a sheen.  Then I topped the top in clear wax and then 2 coats of dark mixed with clear.  

The table has a little drawer in the front and the hardware was brass.  I sprayed the hardware with some  oil rubbed bronze.  

The rest of the table I coated in Old English for dark wood and then topped it all with a coat of dark wax to protect it and give it new life.  The Annie Sloan wax is really the best and the wood seems to love the wax too!

This is my favorite coffee table ever!  If I didn't already have one in my family room I'd be keeping this one.    





I know this was a long post, but I didn't see the point in dragging these small projects out and making a post for each one.  I've been super busy lately and haven't been very good at keeping up with my blogging duties.  Thank you for your patience.  I hope that now that school has started I will be able to find the time to blog.  

If you've made a comment on the blog and I haven't responded I apologize.  The last month I've had a lot going on in my life.  I know everyone has a lot going on and is busy, but I have to admit I wasn't prepared for the last month. It's been a whirlwind!  I think I'm starting to find my groove, now I just have to find a way to be more balanced.  I'm working hard to find the balance between family, working on furniture, blogging and making it to the gym and having some 'me' time.  I think this is what every woman in the world struggles with so I know I'm not alone.  Please be patient with me.

I bought a t-shirt on the weekend that says "Perfectly Imperfect" that's me for sure!  

Melody
Description: Tables, Tables And More Tables!
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Imam Baihaqi
On: 5:55 PM
TOP